Friday, February 5, 2010

oh sNOw!

So it's apparently supposed to start snowing soon. As in, within the next few hours.

Some people talk about being born in the wrong era. Maybe describing how they would've liked to be born in the 50's when women wore poodle skirts and men slicked their hair and took them on official dates. Others maybe wish they lived in the renaissance, big gowns, knights in shining armor, the whole thing (although, really, just thinking about the bugs and the impurities in the water back then makes me itch and choke a little bit to be honest).

I wasn't born in the wrong era.

I was born in the wrong geography.

Honestly, it is way too cold here.

For those who don't know, I live in Eastern Pennsylvania. Hardly the arctic. Pennsylvania doesn't even come up in the minds of most people when they are listing "cold places". It doesn't matter though because i know the truth: I know that Pennsylvania is a frigid wasteland of cold. I know that sometimes when i come home at night i can't stop shivering until i put myself in a hot tub or take a steamy shower.

Other people are fine here, i don't get it. My husband will wear just a shirt out and he'll be fine. On the same day I will literally layer myself in a tank top, a long sleeved shirt, a sweatshirt and a wool coat and will still feel the sharp bite of the wind cut right straight through me.

I don't get it. And I don't like it.

I dream of warm climates. Winter with highs of 75 degrees and lows of 60. I dream of palm-trees decorated with twinkling lights at Christmas time, swimming in my back yard pool while my friends update about rock salt and shovels. I dream of heat.

But alas, i know that my dream is just that - a DREAM. I know that the odds of it ever coming through to fruition are slim to none. I know this because there is something i love even more than the warmth: my family.

Yup. my family. I'm a family kind of girl at heart and unfortunately (or fortunately i guess) for me my whole entire family (complete with my husband's whole entire family) lives in Eastern Pennsylvania.

I don't give up though. I am an eternal optimist, someone who took it seriously when they told me as a child that i could do anything i set my mind to and I've set my mind to convincing my family to move somewhere warm.

I've begun to make suggestions, i've described beaches, blue skies and sunshine on the bleakest, grayest, snowiest days here. I've imagined us all living near one another somewhere lovely and warm, the walks we would go on, the photos we could take, i've even appealed to my dad's love of fishing.

I can't say that it's time yet to pull out the Real Estate section and start making phone calls but I have seen my mom's eyes drift off and stare into the distance while she perhaps thinks of sand between her toes and lifting conch shells to her ears. I can only hope that if it does snow today, that it snows enough to make that dream of mine inch a little bit closer to becoming a reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment