Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Life: Happy Valentine's Week

Love

I am getting ready for Valentine's Day here on the snowy Mid-Atlantic coast. And by Getting Ready I mostly just mean that I am finding ways to justify baking cupcakes and cutting hearts out of paper in the livingroom today while I'm on a snow day.

My husband is working from home and we are breaking apart the day by watching Youtube Videos and laughing until tears roll down our cheeks while he is on bathroom breaks and eating his lunch. It's fun to have him around even if he IS busy most of the time. I just like that he's here in the room with me.

I am wondering something: how do other married couples celebrate Valentine's Day? This is our second Valentine's Day being married but apparently last year's celebration was so anti-climatic that I can't recall it now.

I think that V-Day is more a holiday for the unmarried/people not in super serious relationships. It gives them a chance to see where their relationship is, it's like a litmus test for "seriousness".

For me I'll just be excited to go out for dinner and maybe see a chick flick. I am really looking forward to eating chocolate without guilt and I will definitely be having cupcakes because they're my favorite. And then I'll probably make up for it all by working out three times in one weekend.

So if anyone is out there reading this, tell me how you plan to celebrate Valentine's Day? I know it's Internet Trendy to shun this holiday as being "stupid" and "pointless" and an unnecessary way to express love but I feel the opposite. I think that it's great to have any excuse to tell those we love that we love them. Appreciation is something that is in short order in this culture and it really does mean a lot to take time out of our days/lives and tell those that we love exactly that.

So get out there and tell someone that you love them. They don't have to be your valentine, just show some extra affection because it's a nice thing to do.

And just for the fun of it, here's Zoey looking out at all the snowfall.

what's that?

7 comments:

  1. Steve and I are celebrating Valentine's Day by having a "romantic" night in. He actually has to work (although we won't know what time until this Friday when his schedule gets posted) which means I'll be doing the cooking since I have the day off.

    We went out to a fancy dinner last year, and thought it would be nice to spend our first Valentine's Day living together at home. I'm going to make something nice for dinner, and will definately be backing cupcakes. Steve wants me to make filet mignon, but I'm not sure if that's an adventure I'm ready to embark on, and we're doing molten chocolate lava cakes for dessert.

    I compeltely understand what you mean about Valentine's Day being more for people who aren't in serious relationship because this is our sixth Valentine's Day together, and it doesn't seem like it's as big of a deal as it was when our first one rolled around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jonathan and I have always seen Valentine's day as an "excuse" to tell the person you love you love them.... but who doesn't like being told they're loved?

    I can't even remember what we did last Valentine's day. I think it was raining so we had an indoor picnic that Jonathan had planned, but was ruined due to the weather. It was perfect none-the-less.

    When we first started dating, Valentine's day was an excuse to go out and spoil one another. This is our 7th Valentine's day, and we're simply spending the day with his family. I wouldn't have it any other way. Because now, not am I just recieving his love, but his families as well. And that's what it's all about.

    I also think Valentine's day isn't just for couples. I think it's a great holiday to show friends how much they are loved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always said that Valentine's Day is silly, but who doesn't love getting flowers and candy? I'll tell you who doesn't love getting flowers and candy. A woman who shares her bank account with her partner.

    When Dan and I were dating, flowers were awesome! If he wanted to spend HIS money on frivolous things, then I was going to sit back an enjoy it. Now that it's OUR money, I can think of a thousand things that I'd rather spend $30-$40 on.

    On the other hand, there are free ways to be romantic.

    What are we doing on Valentine's Day? Probably the same thing we do every Sunday - nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stevan and I weren't really going to celebrate for the mere fact that he works that evening. Maybe we'll do brunch or something, but I think given the special circumstances now, that we better put some effort now. Who knows, this could very well be our last one between he and I.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeff and I planned on going to see the movie Valentines Day, and going to a nice dinner. BUT we are both really bad about making definite plans. I know we will definitely see the movie at some point, but we don't know which day, it might not actually be on Sunday. And as for dinner, everywhere is going to be PACKED all weekend, and we didn't make a reservation anywhere cuz we can't ever pin down a day and time that we want to do something, lol. So I dunno. Plus, now that this car accident has happened, this weekend has to be about me looking for a car, which will be fun (and stressful? haha) but it sucks cuz it takes the emphasis away from v-day weekend and I really love v-day! But now I just have so much going on in my mind to really be focused on v-day.

    Oh and we are also going to exchange gifts which I am super excited about! I am probably going to make a post in LJ with a pic of what I got him. I hope he gets me something thoughtful cuz I put so much effort into his stuff! lol.

    I hope you are Ryan have a wonderful valentines day together. :) I know you will. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops that would be you AND Ryan!! I typed that wrong!

    I love this blog by the way! How cool that I can post with my LJ name and everything...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jeremy and I aren't super into these pre-fabricated holidays, but we do like to at least have fun together on Valentine's Day. This year I asked him to plan a surprise outing for me, and he took me to see the penguins at the aquarium! Perfect date. (He indulges my maniacal penguin obsession, so he's pretty perfect, if you ask me!) I made us chocolate chip pancakes in the shape of hearts (okay, only like 4 of them were heart shaped and not heart blobs because the molds were tricky to use), and then for dinner, we got lazy and ordered pizza and ended up cooking our fancy dinner the following evening. He bought me a grill pan. I bought him a winter coat and tiny peanut butter cups. Hurrah for practical gifts!

    All in all, a funderful day. It was just super nice to spend the day having fun with the person I love. That, to me, is the most important part of Valentine's Day. Enjoying it with your loved one.

    ReplyDelete